Ashleigh Bartlett's Sleepover Coconut Oats
Sleepover Coconut Oats has been adapted from Ashleigh's go-to breakfast of overnight oats. By reimagining the recipe using local ingredients, Ashleigh had created a delicious and healthy meal that is perfect wherever you are.
For Ashleigh's interpretation, the coconut milk replaces the non-dairy milk of soy or almond, while bananas are the primary fruit component. Because we are surrounded by an abundance of coconut trees, we are fortunate enough to use the freshest coconut milk.
3/4 cup coconut milk, cooked and chilled
1/2 cup oats
1 ripe banana, mashed
Fresh fruit; mango, banana, papaya, jackfruit
Even from the start of her residency, Ashleigh was thinking about what she could contribute to the Elmo's House Artist Cookbook. Here is a page from her sketchbook.
1. Mash your banana in a medium-sized bowl.
2. Add your oats to the banana mash and mix well.
3. Add the cooked and chilled coconut milk. Because we are using fresh coconut, it was important to boil the milk first before using.
NOTE: We added a bit of mascovado to the mixture, but found it unnecessary in the end because of the milk's natural sweetness.
4. After all the ingredients are mixed, transfer the oats mixture to a container with lid. This will go in the fridge overnight and will be ready the following morning!
5. This recipe yields two small bowls, perfect to share. You can add the toppings of your choice at this stage. For this recipe, we used crushed cashews, sliced bananas, coconut shavings and a dash of muscovado. Additional coconut milk or more oats can be added to modify the texture to your liking.
Have a great morning!