Nancy de Mayo's Puso Saging
This recipe yields a medium sized bowl, which can be an appetizer or an accompaniment to a main dish.
There are three steps to this recipe. To follow all three steps would take about 20-30 minutes.
(Step 1)1 coconut
(Step 2)1 medium sized banana heart
(Step 3)1 tsp coconut oil, 1 small red onion minced, 3 cloves of, garlic minced, thumbnail sized ginger minced, salt to taste , sugar to taste, 1/4 cup sugar cane vinegar
1. EXTRACTING MILK FROM A COCONUT
- Peel the husk off the coconut and half with a large bolo knife or machete.
- Using a coconut grater, scrape the meat off of the coconut halves.
- Pour a 1/3 cup of water into the grated coconut. Mix well with your hands.
- Take a small amount of the water/coconut mixture into the palm of your hand and squeeze over a medium sized bowl with a sieve. Repeat this process until about a cup of milk is produced in the bowl.
- Set aside for Step 3.
STEP 2. PREPARING THE BANANA BLOSSOM
- Cut the stalk off the banana blossom.
- Half the blossom lengthwise to see the anatomy clearly.
- Discard the outer crimson shells as well as the pistils that line them. Do this until you are left with light green petals only.
- Cut the halves to make 4 parts.
- In a medium sized pot over medium-high heat, submerge the four parts in water and bring to a boil.
- Let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain and let cool.
- Cut out the spine and pistils; discard.
- Slice the light green layers very thinly crosswise and set aside for Step 3.
- 3. COOKING THE DISH
- In a medium sized pot over medium heat, combine all ingredients from the list. Salt and sugar to taste.
- Let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve as a side dish to accompany a main course, drizzled over steamed rice.
3. COOKING THE DISH
- In a medium sized pot over medium heat, sauté the minced red onion, garlic and ginger in 1 tsp coconut oil, for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Add vinegar and let simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add banana hearts and let simmer for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, strring occassionally.