Pam Angeles' Monggo Beans with Malunggay
As a visiting creative from Manila, Pam Angeles was a welcome guest and contributor at Elmo's House. During one delicious afternoon, she prepared this monggo dish over a bed of Camoros red rice. It was a treat to have such a traditional meal. Adapted from her grandmothers' recipe, this monngo dish was standard fare growing up. There are no measurements. Frequent tasting as you go is recommended instead, once the meat is cooked of course.
Monggo (or Mung) Beans
Malunggay (3 stems full of leaves)
Onion and Garlic
Pork Meat (optional, can use fish)
Pork Rind (chicharron)
1. Boil the monggo beans until tender (when outer layer is peeling off the bean).
2. Saute garlic and onion.
3. Add the pork meat and saute until brown.
4. Add the malunggay leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
5. Add the monggo beans with the water for final simmer.
6. Add the crushed pork rind while simmering.
7. Add seasoning, fish sauce and salt to taste.